The technicians at CarMax, the largest American used cars retailer, have compiled the following 5 tips to help the readers in keeping their car in top shape. Driving in winter can be taxing, on cars and their drivers, yet following a few simple steps can help get your car ready for the next season.
- Wash car under-carriage:
An automatic carwash that cleans the under-carriage helps remove residue winter road treatments may leave behind.
- Wax after every wash:
Wax protects paint from the sun’s damaging UV rays. Just don’t go for a cheap brand that might ruin your car’s paint.
- Don’t forget about the oil:
Cold weather causes condensation and harmful acids can form in engine oil; so remember to change oil and filter every 3,000 miles or at manufacturer-recommended intervals.
- See a professional:
If the engine isn’t running smoothly or other problems arise, have your vehicle diagnosed by a certified auto technician to extend vehicle life and improve gas mileage
- Have a qualified technician check:
- Engine coolant, belts, and hoses
- All lights and lenses for cracks
- All tires, including the spare
- All wheels and brakes
- Car battery, since it works harder in summer months
- Steering and suspension for loose or damaged parts
- Air conditioner, to avoid waiting for repairs in hot summer weather