Heat waves are imminent, which means more air conditioner time, and a surge in power consumption nation wide. Georgia Power – a major American generators of electricity serving 2.4 million customers – shared some energy tips to keep customers cool and comfortable and help lower their monthly power bills.
During the summer, the air conditioner is usually the biggest user of electricity. For many homes, it accounts for more than half of the summer electric bill.
- Use fans whenever possible. Ceiling fans can make the air in a room feel 6 degrees cooler and allow you to save energy. However, remember to turn them off when you’re not in the room.
- Change or clean your air conditioner filter regularly to maximize the unit’s cooling potential. Dirty filters restrict airflow and reduce efficiency.
Lighting costs account for around 15% of the average US homeowner’s monthly electric bill. Now if every home in the US exchanged two standard light switches with two dimmers , the expected annual national savings in electricity could be $1.2 billion, and close to 25 billion pounds of CO2? That\’s the equivalent of taking more than one million cars off the road.
There are lots of products that help reduce the electricity bill, ranging from dimmers, to sensors, to automated shades and thermostats. Lutron Electronics makes it easy for homeowners to save energy throughout their homes, whether you want to update one room or an entire home.
Michael Wood, an expert in expense reduction analysis, believes that six out of ten UK householders pay around 30% extra in their electricity bill, while another 10% of their yearly spend is caused by the cold weather. “Part of the problem is that people don’t know how to shop around to get the best electricity tariff,” he says. “And then they struggle to know how to use their electric heaters efficiently. This is a real issue during very cold weather and when energy prices are so high.”
You have the power to control your household electricity budget, and TXU Energy (A retailer providing electricity and related services to around 2 million customers in Texas) can show you how.
- In summer months, dial up the A/C to 85 or higher when you”re away from home and 75F (24C) or higher when you”re there; dial it up a few more degrees at night in summer.
- Avoid leaving on ceiling fans and lights in rooms you”re not using.
Colder weather is upon us, which means it’s time for some new energy saving tips. Allegheny Power\’s Watt Watchers program shared with the world their list of energy saving tips, guaranteed to keep your electricity bill at bay! The tips start with:
- Make sure your home is insulated to adequate standards–it\’s the single most important step toward saving energy in your home. The easiest and most cost-effective way to insulate your home is to install additional insulation in the attic. If you have less than 6 or 7 inches, you can probably benefit by adding more.
- Install storm windows over single-pane windows or replace them with double-pane windows.